Follow these steps to save a gunshot victim from dying;
1. Make sure you are safe first!
2. Shout for help or make a brief SOS call to alert others.
3. Look for any source of bleeding in the victim; remove their clothing if necessary.
4. Try to stop the bleeding with pressure – if no medical supplies, cover wound tightly with clot, shirt, scarf, etc
5. Keep pressing down hard on the bleeding area with both hands. Press & press!
6. If injury is very deep, press the cloth into it to pack the wound.
7. If a trauma kit is available and gunshot injury is on the leg or hand, pull a tourniquet tight around the victim’s arm or leg ABOVE THE WOUND!
8. Elevate the injured limb above the rest of the body!
9. If victim is already losing consciousness or you can’t feel their heartbeat anymore, start CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) with chest compressions.
10. While you’re doing all these, let other people around help to make fast arrangements to move victim to the nearest medical facility!!
Never panic in front of a gunshot victim. Keep reassuring them that they’ll be fine. You looking too anxious or nervous can make things worse for them emotionally!
Death from gunshot injury is mainly due to blood loss from torn blood vessels or muscles, or damage to vital organs like the heart or brain.
About 4 to 8 minutes of bleeding from a penetrating gunshot injury can be fatal.
Never, panic… Just save their lives with these tips!
So if you can help the victim reduce their bleeding before medical care arrives, you might actually save that person’s life.
May God comfort the families of those who lost their loved ones in yesterday dastardly attack at owo, Ondo state.
Our deepest condolences.